Friday 18 August 2017

So you want to know about our equipment?

We are keen tent campers but none of our regular equipment for the big tent would've worked on this trip. The packing needed to be lightweight and minimal - getting away with the least you can carry.

So in terms of equipment here goes:

Bike - I bought a new Dawes Galaxy Plus a year ago, just after Brexit vote but just before the pound nosedived to make imports so much more expensive. It is a brilliant but heavy bike (it's a Tourer!) which loves hills - despite me hating them! I've had comments about " is there a secret motor built in somewhere?" when I whizz past people up a hill. Don't think that will happen with all the panniers on though.

Tent - an Atom 3 which is lightweight, weighs less than 5kg. We have split the tent so I carry the outer and he carries the inner, poles and pegs (oh and the rubber mallet as the French campsites' ground is hard!). 

Sleeping mat - lightweight 650g 3/4  self-inflating mat

Sleeping bag - Snugpak 2 season Jungle Sleeping Bag with built-in mosquito net - 950g

A small gas burner - Campingaz Twister Plus weighing 263g

Panniers - All Ortlieb so waterproof. When we cycled EuroVelo 15 five years ago, I used my Dutch Agu panniers and got fed-up of the number of times I had to stop to put rain covers on. This time I'm ready whatever the weather!

Ortlieb Backroller Plus waterproof panniers and Ortlieb 24L rack pack. For the front bar bag I have an Ortlieb Ultimate6 Compact and Mr B has an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Classic

RAVPower 26800mAh Portable Charger 26800, Premium Quality Battery Pack with 3 iSmart 2.0 USB Ports, High Speed 5.5A Max Output -  - http://amzn.eu/6xcT8Qq

RAVPower 16W Solar Charger with Dual USB Port (Foldable, Portable) High Efficiency Outdoor Solar Panel for iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, Camera -  http://amzn.eu/4h3vk1v

No comments:

Post a Comment